Monday 17 October 2016

Media Consumption


Newspapers

Which daily newspapers (if any) do you read? 
As my parents bring many newspapers from their commutes, I would read the Sun, Daily 
Mirror and sometimes the Independent 

What sections of newspapers do you turn to first, and why? 
The humour column/section or the headline news.

What sections do you never read, and why? 
I don't normally read the sports section of the papers or horoscopes. Particularly, as I have 
no actual interest in sport and I only glance at horoscopes from time to time.

What kinds of stories do you usually read and why? 
Breaking news stories and many world news, most involving war and conflict.

Do you, or someone else, buy the newspaper you read? 
My mother and I love the front pages of the Sun.

Do you look at the online versions of any newspapers? 
Yes, the Daily Mail as it always has some interesting headline about celebrities doing 
something extremely bad.


Magazines

What magazines (if any) do you buy regularly?  Why? 
i-D, Fader and O, the Oprah Magazine. I think as they showcase a lot of black artists 
which interest me.

What sections of the magazines do you read? 
The interviews they have of celebrities who intrigue me but mostly I spend time cutting 
up their front pages. 



Television

Approximately how many hours a week do you spend watching television? 
4 hours

What times of day do you usually watch television? 
From 5 onward

What programmes do you like best and why? 
On E4 I watch The Goldbergs, The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother as they are all 
quite mediocre and so makes them quite funny. Channel 4 has more interesting shows like 
Gogglebox on Fridays and First Dates or my Mother's favourite Come Dine With Me.

Do you watch alone or with others? If you watch with others, who decides what you will watch? 
I mostly watch with my Mum and/or my little brother,9, (if he isn't occupied on his iPad). But
mostly my Mum decided as she always has the remote and I always have to lie about
wanting to 'check' a channel to actually watch what I want.

Do you watch 'live' TV or on-demand/catch-up? Do you use any other devices to watch TV (such as laptop of tablet?) 
I guess the X-Factor when it is 'live' or Big Brother. I use 4od to watch missed episodes of 
boxsets.


Radio

Do you listen to the radio? 
Sometimes, I do listen to the radio

If yes, what stations do you like best and why? 
I don't have a particular station but on Sundays my Dad always has Premiere on 
when I wake up.

Approximately how many hours a week do you spend listening to the radio? 
under 1 hour

What times of the day do you usually listen to the radio?
Sundays or Saturdays (all in the morning)

Where do you listen to the radio? 
At home and sometimes on the bus when I,m bored

What other activities (if any) do you do whilst listening to the radio? 
Pretending I'm in a music video and look outside the window . Also, trying to multi-task by
reading at the same time


Cinema

What films have you seen in the cinema in the last month? 
I have seen Suicide Squad,Deadpool, Zootopia and The Jungle Book

What films have you seen in other places – for example, through rental, satellite film
channels or through video-on-demand? 
I actually see a lot of my movies on Film4 such as Hunger Games or Skyfall. Also through
Netflix on my TV.

Who else watched the films with you? 
My little brother.

Who decided what films to watch?
Myself.

What devices do you typically use to watch films: TV, laptop, tablet, phone etc.?
I use both my phone and computer.



Online

How often do you access the internet? 
Everyday.

Where do you access the internet?  At home, at college or school, or at work? 
Home and School

What are the main sites that you access? 
Tumblr, Instagram, Youtube and KissCartoon/Asian.

What are the main reasons for accessing these sites – for example, for information, to 
make purchases, communicate with friends or for entertainment? 
Social media is for entertainment but for my own independent learning. The Kiss sites is for 
watching old cartoons and East Asian dramas

What other activities (if any) do you do whilst accessing the internet? 
Eating and Drinking an excessive amount of water.

What different devices do you use to access the internet? What is your primary device for
accessing the internet? 
A computer or phone. I mostly use my computer for everything and at night use my phone
to read.

What social networks do you use regularly (e.g. Twitter, Instagram)? Why do you belong to 
these networks in particular? 
I use Tumblr. I use Tumblr as I get great frame work of landscapes and 
animals ,also, people to draw from. There are great memes amongst Tumblr and Instagram 
which I happily screenshot for future uses. 


Reflection

How can you develop the amount and variety of media you consume? 
Reading more about economic elements of media rather than the entertainment side of it.  

What will you change in your media consumption habits this year as a result of studying A 
Level Media? 
Being more insightful and appreciative when it comes to movies, but also lessening my 
media consumption as I'm quite sleep deprived.

List three sources of media (websites/newspapers/apps/TV programmes etc.) that you will 
start to access this year that you haven't engaged with previously. 
Apps, Websites and News outlets.

No comments:

Post a Comment